Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Geauga County / 17-28 Chagrin Falls & Eastern Railway - Eastern Ohio Traction Company [6]

  • 17-28 Marker Dedication October 6, 2013 17-28 Marker Dedication October 6, 2013
  • 17-28 Interurban Railway 17-28 Interurban Railway
  • 17-28 Local Historian Don Barriball and South Russell Village Mayor Matthew Brett 17-28 Local Historian Don Barriball and South Russell Village Mayor Matthew Brett
  • 17-28 South Russell Village PArk 17-28 South Russell Village PArk
  • 17-28 Marker Side 1 17-28 Marker Side 1
  • 17-28 Marker Side 2 17-28 Marker Side 2
Title, side A
Chagrin Falls & Eastern Railway - Eastern Ohio Traction Company
Text, side A
From east to west, the Chagrin Falls and Eastern Interurban Railway crossed the Muggleton Farm (now South Russell Village Park) at this location and connected the Chagrin Valley with Hiram, Garrettsville, and Middlefield. Its sister interurban, the Cleveland and Chagrin Falls Electric Railway served points west. Soon after their formation, the Everett-Moore Syndicate merged the two lines into the extensive interurban rail network, The Eastern Ohio Traction Company. The EOTC and its predecessors operated from 1899-1925, mainly moving mail, farm goods, and passengers. In 1914, the more rural line from Chagrin Falls traveling eastward became the first major interurban in the United States to cease operations. It is believed that declining use, insufficient power for the railway, and a failed line extension to Youngstown were likely factors contributing to the line's demise.
Text, side B
Interurban transportation stimulated growth within the Chagrin Valley during the early 20th century. The interurban provided faster, more reliable transportation than using horse drawn wagons. As the century progressed, automobiles and better paved roadways brought an end to the interurban era. Looking eastward, a section of interurban track is visible near the entrance to a walking trail constructed over the original CF & E right-of-way, as an Eagle Scout project. The restored interurban railcar wheels on display were found in this park in 2011
Address
1000 Bell Rd
South Russell, OH 44022
Location
The South Russell Village Park
Coordinates
Latitude: 21.469167, Longitude: -81.359167.
Google map: