Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Geauga County / 2-28 Chardon Business District [12]

  • 2-28 Markers are very Tall Kirk is 6' 1" look up or you may miss them 1-28 and 2-28 are on the same street about 100 yards apart 2-28 Markers are very Tall Kirk is 6' 1" look up or you may miss them 1-28 and 2-28 are on the same street about 100 yards apart
  • 2-28 Marker side A 2-28 Marker side A
  • 2-28 Marker side B 2-28 Marker side B
  • 2-28 #2-28 Chardon Business District Front 2-28 #2-28 Chardon Business District Front
  • 2-28 #2-28 Geauga County Courthouse Back 2-28 #2-28 Geauga County Courthouse Back
  • 2-28 The marker 5/5/2014 2-28 The marker 5/5/2014
  • 2-28 The couthouse across the street 5/5/2014 2-28 The couthouse across the street 5/5/2014
  • 2-28 The marker back 5/5/2014 2-28 The marker back 5/5/2014
  • 2-28 Geauga County Courthouse 2-28 Geauga County Courthouse
  • 2-28 Chardon Business District 2-28 Chardon Business District
  • 2-28 Chardon Business District 2-28 Chardon Business District
  • 2-28 Chardon Business District 2-28 Chardon Business District
Title, side A
Chardon Business District
Title, side B
Geauga County Courthouse
Text, side A
This block of Main Street overlooks the Geauga County Courthouse, which was built in 1869. The courthouse and the Main Street buildings, together which compose a district that has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places, are excellent examples of the High Victorian Italianate architectural style. Going north from Court Street, the first two buildings were erected in 1873. The Opera House dates from 1875. The jail was constructed in 1868 just after the fire, followed by the new jail of 1874, and the sheriff's house of 1909. Memorial Hall (now the Courthouse Annex) dates from 1875. Last on the block is the Victorian Gothic Church built in 1882,
Text, side B
L.J. Randall, builder of the Randall Block on Main Street, was contractor for the courthouse; Joseph Ireland (active in Cleveland 1865-1885) was the architect. Looking at the Geauga County Courthouse, note the square tower which changes to an octagon one full story above the roofline. The courthouse's cupola reaches 112 feet, and contains an antique clock mechanism renovated in 1996 by the community and Chapter 28-The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. The bandstand on the village public green is a reconstruction of the 1875 original. The bandstand was dedicated by the community in 1981, and the brick memorial walkway was dedicated in 1993.
Address
223 Main Street
Chardon, OH 44024
Location
The marker is installed in the sidewalk in front of 223 Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.582700, Longitude: -81.203980.
Google map: