Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Geauga County / 5-28 Great Geauga County Fair [4]

  • 5-28 The marker 5/5/2014 5-28 The marker 5/5/2014
  • 5-28 Geauga Fair Marker March 11, 2006 5-28 Geauga Fair Marker March 11, 2006
  • 5-28 Domestic Arts Building March 11, 2006 5-28 Domestic Arts Building March 11, 2006
  • 5-28 Geauga County Fair March 11, 2006 5-28 Geauga County Fair March 11, 2006
Title, side A
Great Geauga County Fair
Text, side A
The Great Geauga County Fair is the longest continuously operating county fair in Ohio. The fair is a major county gathering event each year, pulling together people from the whole county. Geauga's settlers imported the idea of the county fair with them from New England. The fair's parent organization, the Geauga County Agricultural and Manufacturing Society, began holding fairs on Chardon Square in 1823. Since then, the Geauga County Fair has served as a gathering place and form of education to promote local agriculture and introduce farmers to new farming developments and each other. Controversy arose between 1840 and 1854 after Lake County ceded and Chardon, Claridon, and Burton vied for the permanent fair grounds. Burton's proposal was accepted, improvements began immediately, and the fair grew quickly. The Great Geauga County Fair continues as a time-honored tradition.
Address
14373 N. Cheshire Street
Burton, OH 44021
Location
14373 N. Cheshire Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.477201, Longitude: -81.145140.
Google map: