Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 13-31 Maple Knoll Village [4]

  • 13-31 The Marker 13-31 The Marker
  • 13-31 Marker Side A 13-31 Marker Side A
  • 13-31 Marker Side B 13-31 Marker Side B
  • 13-31 The Setting 13-31 The Setting
Title, side A
Maple Knoll Village
Text, side A
A group of concerned Cincinnati women organized, in 1855, The Protestant Home for the Friendless and Female Guardian Society as a private, not-for-profit maternity home for destitute women and children. These public minded social leaders were aware that Cincinnati had grown beyond the time when the poor or unfortunate were cared for by their neighbors. The Home, which was funded through bequests and personal donations, was founded to care for poor mothers and babies, unmarried pregnant women, wanderers and strangers in the city, and to promote adoptions.
Text, side B
(continued from other side) Originally located at 433 West Court Street, the Home moved to this site on Springfield Pike in 1926. Later the name changed to the Maple Knoll Home and Maternity Hospital. In the 1970s, this charity merged with the Widows' and Old Men's Home and the Bodmann Widows' Home to form Southwestern Ohio Seniors' Services, Inc., parent corporation of Maple Knoll Village.
Address
11100 Springfield Pike
Cincinnati, OH 45246
Location
Heritage Garden, on the grounds of Maple Knoll Village, 11100 Springfield Pike, Cincinnati.
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.278270, Longitude: -84.478650.
Google map: