Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 24-31 Taft Museum of Art [11]

Title, side A
Taft Museum of Art
Text, side A
This Federal house was begun about 1820 for Martin Baum (1765-1831), one of Cincinnati's early merchants. Art patron and abolitionist Nicholas Longworth (1782-1863) lived here for more than thirty years and commissioned the notable landscape murals in the foyer painted by African-American artist Robert S. Duncanson (1821-1872). Iron magnate David Sinton (1808-1900), the subsequent owner, bequeathed the house to his daughter Anna Sinton Taft (1852?-1931). She and her husband Charles Phelps Taft (1843-1929), older half-brother of William Howard Taft (1857-1930), who accepted his party's nomination for president from the portico in 1908, assembled the acclaimed art collection displayed here. Bequeathed to the people of Cincinnati in 1927, the Taft Museum of Art opened to the public in 1932. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
Address
316 Pike Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Location
Left side entrance sidewalk, along the driveway
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.1020560, Longitude: -84.5032720.
Google map: