Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 26-31 Cincinnati Union Terminal [10]

Title, side A
Cincinnati Union Terminal
Text, side A
The Cincinnati Union Terminal opened in March 1933 and integrated rail travel in the city, which previously operated from five separate passenger terminals. Built when rail travel was already in decline, Union Terminal stopped operating as a passenger railroad station in 1972. Only during WWII was the terminal used to capacity with as many as 34,000 people travelling through the building daily in 1944. As part of preservation efforts, 14 mosaics depicting Cincinnati industry of the 1930s by Winold Reiss were saved from the concourse and moved to the Greater Cincinnati Airport. The restored Union Terminal became a Museum Center in November 1990 with the opening of the renovated Cincinnati Museum of Natural History and new Cincinnati History Museum. Cincinnati Union Terminal has been described as one of the most outstanding examples of Art Deco train stations in the nation and was listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Address
1301 Western Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45203
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.109460, Longitude: -84.536960.
Google map: