Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 40-31 Village of Glendale, 1855 [5]

  • 40-31 Marker 40-31 Marker
  • 40-31 Street in Glendale 40-31 Street in Glendale
  • 40-31 Street in Glendale 40-31 Street in Glendale
  • 40-31 Historic Marker; Village Square in front of Glendale Offices 40-31 Historic Marker; Village Square in front of Glendale Offices
  • 40-31 Original Glendale, OH; Est. 1855 40-31 Original Glendale, OH; Est. 1855
Title, side A
Village of Glendale, 1855
Text, side A
Established in 1851 after the addition of the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railway, Glendale incorporated in 1855 as Ohio's first planned community and one of the nation's first planned villages. The original planning included forested greenbelts and parks, curvilinear streets meandering around established trees, large lots, and superior building standards. Glendale is designated as a National Historic Landmark community from the Department of Interior and a Certified Local Government through the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, all owed to Glendale's persistent adherence to the plan and faithful preservation of original infrastructure. Much of today's preserved infrastructure includes the original 59 pivotal buildings, curvilinear streets, tree canopy, stone gutters, gas streetlights, and railroad depot.
Address
30 Village Square
Glendale, OH 45246
Location
Municipal Offices, 30 Village Square
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.271560, Longitude: -84.459410.
Google map: