Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 67-31 Colerain Turnpike Watering Trough [8]

  • 67-31 Colerain Turnpike Watering Trough Marker 67-31 Colerain Turnpike Watering Trough Marker
  • 67-31 Close up on sign 67-31 Close up on sign
  • 67-31 Marker 67-31 Marker
  • 67-31 Marker and Old Colerain Road, looking east 67-31 Marker and Old Colerain Road, looking east
  • 67-31 Marker and Old Colerain Road, looking west 67-31 Marker and Old Colerain Road, looking west
  • 67-31 Marker and trough 67-31 Marker and trough
  • 67-31 Stone showing poem 67-31 Stone showing poem
  • 67-31 Stone showing name of builder 67-31 Stone showing name of builder
Title, side A
Colerain Turnpike Watering Trough
Text, side A
This spring fed watering trough was erected by Giles Richards (1792-1876) in 1867 and has provided water to travelers and livestock ever since. Richards owned and operated a number of enterprises in Colerain Township starting in the early 1800s. Upon the marble slab just above the iron trough is engraved: Stranger and traveler Drink freely and bestow A kindly thought on him Who bade this fountain flow Yet hath no other claim Than as the minister Of blessings in God's name Drink and in peace go
Address
Old Colerain Avenue
Colerain Township, OH 45252
Location
.2 miles South of intersection of Old Colerain Avenue and East Miami River Road