Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 74-31 The First Link [1]

  • 74-31 Historical Marker 74-31 Historical Marker
Title, side A
The First Link
Text, side A
The Fernald Feed Materials Production Center initiated operations on this site in October 1951, in support of America's Cold War effort. As the first link in America's nuclear weapons production cycle, Fernald's mission was to produce high purity uranium metal products for use by other sites within the nuclear weapons complex. In the late 1980s, releases of radioactive contamination from Fernald focused national attention on the environmental legacy of the Cold War. As a result of reduced demand for its product and public outcry over the environmental contamination, Fernald's mission changed to environmental cleanup in 1989. Following the completion of one of the largest environmental cleanup and ecological restoration projects in American history, the site was renamed "The Fernald Preserve" in 2006.
Address
7400 Willey Rd
Hamilton, OH 45013
Location
The Fernald Preserve, 7400 Willey Rd., Hamilton