Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 103-25 The Lincoln Theatre [7]

Title, side A
The Lincoln Theatre
Text, side A
The Lincoln Theatre, originally known as Ogden Theatre Lodge, opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1929. Developer Al Jackson was spurred to build the theatre because African-Americans were segregated from the other area theatres. Among the bands that have played at the Lincoln was the Eckstine Band, which launched the careers of a number of legendary jazz stars such as Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and Sarah Vaughn. The Lincoln Theatre retained a high level of integrity during a period of unequaled African-American cultural, social, and economic strength in Columbus.
Address
769 E. Long Street
Columbus, OH
Location
Across the street from the Lincoln Theatre
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.9673890, Longitude: -82.9809270.
Google map: