Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station [13]

  • 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station
  • 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station
  • 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station
  • 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station 9/7/13 106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station 9/7/13
  • 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Side 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Side
  • 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Towers 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Towers
  • 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel back 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel back
  • 106-25 #106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station Front 106-25 #106-25 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station Front
  • 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Tower 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Tower
  • 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Side View 106-25 #106-25 Macklin Hotel Side View
  • 106-25 Marker 9-17-09 106-25 Marker 9-17-09
  • 106-25 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller 106-25 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller
  • 106-25 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller 106-25 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller
Title, side A
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station
Title, side B
Macklin Hotel
Text, side A
The only remaining Columbus railroad station, The Toledo & Ohio Central (T&OC) Railroad Station was constructed in 1895 and was the departure point for William McKinley when he left for Washington D.C to be sworn in as president. Designed by noted Columbus architects Joseph Warren Yost & Frank L. Packard, the pagoda style roof and tower have become Columbus icons. By 1900, the T&OC was purchased by the rival Hocking Valley Railroad and in 1911 the tracks were elevated above Broad Street. Later the New York Central Railroad gained control and used the station until 1930 when passenger service was transferred to Union Station in Columbus. Restored after the 1913 Flood and major fires in 1910 and 1975, the station was headquarters for the Central Ohio Volunteers of American from 1930 to 2003. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Text, side B
The Macklin Hotel was constructed prior to 1895 and predates the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad Station. It was located adjacent to the station and had three towers and a pagoda style roof matching the depot. The Macklin Hotel was located at 387 W. Broad St. in front of the crystal ice plant which supplied ice to the railroads prior to refrigeration. After the hotel closed, the building was used for several restaurants and cafes until its demolition in 1955.
Address
379 W Broad St
Columbus, OH 43215
Location
Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad Station, 379 W Broad St., Columbus
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.960878, Longitude: -83.010610.
Google map: