Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 18-25 Historic Groveport [4]

  • 18-25 #18-25 Historic Groveport 18-25 #18-25 Historic Groveport
  • 18-25 #18-25 Courthouse detail 18-25 #18-25 Courthouse detail
  • 18-25 Historic Groveport 18-25 Historic Groveport
  • 18-25 Historic Groveport 18-25 Historic Groveport
Title, side A
Historic Groveport
Text, side A
Pioneers began to settle in the Groveport area around the year 1800. Subsequent growth was spurred by the opening of the Ohio Erie Canal, and, in 1847, the adjacent settlements of Rarey's Port and Wert's Grove merged to form the village of Groveport. The canal, which crossed Main Street immediately east of this marker, declined in importance as a commercial lifeline with the local arrival in 1868 of the faster and more flexible railroad system. By 1900, boat traffic on the canal ceased entirely. Traces of the canal bed are still visible throughout the area.
Address
648 Main Street
Groveport, OH 43125
Location
648 Main St, at the corner of Front and High
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.851315, Longitude: -82.882835.
Google map: