Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 21-25 Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital [4]

  • 21-25 Starling Medical College 21-25 Starling Medical College
  • 21-25 Starling Medical College & St. Francis Hospital 21-25 Starling Medical College & St. Francis Hospital
  • 21-25 Starling Medical College/St Francis 9/7/13 21-25 Starling Medical College/St Francis 9/7/13
  • 21-25 Starling Medical College Stereograph 21-25 Starling Medical College Stereograph
Title, side A
Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital
Text, side A
This site, now Grant Medical Center, was the original location of the neo-gothic building that housed St. Francis Hospital and Starling Medical College, named for Columbus benefactor Lyne Starling. Established in 1849, Starling Medical College/St. Francis Hospital was significant as it was the first institution in the United States, governed by a single board of trustees, designed to combine patient care and clinical teaching in the same building. The Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis served the hospital during its existence. Starling Medical College was the forerunner of The Ohio State University College of Medicine, and St. Francis Hospital continued as a teaching hospital until it closed in 1955 and was later razed in 1957.
Address
111 S. Grant Avenue
Columbus, OH 43215
Location
In front of Grant Medical Center, 111 S. Grant Ave., corner of 6th and State Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.961027, Longitude: -82.992198.
Google map: