Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 39-25 The Founding of Worthington, A Planned Community [6]

  • 39-25 The Setting 39-25 The Setting
  • 39-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller 39-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller
  • 39-25 The Founding of Worthington-Back Side 39-25 The Founding of Worthington-Back Side
  • 39-25 39-25
  • 39-25 The Founding of Worthington 39-25 The Founding of Worthington
  • 39-25 Worthington A Planned Community 39-25 Worthington A Planned Community
Title, side A
The Founding of Worthington, A Planned Community
Title, side B
Worthington, A Planned Community
Text, side A
The Scioto Company, led by James Kilbourn (Kilbourne) of Granby and Berlin, Connecticut, founded Worthington in 1803, the year that Ohio became a state. The Scioto Company was organized as a land company in 1802 with 38 original proprietors from Connecticut and Massachusetts. They purchased 16,000 acres of land along the Olentangy River for $1.25 per acre. The name Worthington was adopted in honor of Thomas Worthington, Territorial Land Commissioner, Unites States Senator, and future Ohio governor. He advised Kilbourn on the location for the settlement and his name provided recognition for the community.
Text, side B
Based on a plan adopted by Scioto Company proprietors before their arrival in Ohio, Worthington was established following the New England model. The town formed a grid pattern around a village green. Settlers were required to own at least one town lot and a rural tract for farming; some settlers were designated to operate the first tavern and sawmill. The church and school were assigned double lots on the square and tracts to farm for their support. An Episcopal Church, school, subscription library, and Masonic lodge soon followed. Within months, Worthington was a complete New England town transplanted to Ohio.
Address
777 High Street
Worthington, OH 43085
Location
777 High Street, Griswold Center
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.089900, Longitude: -83.018300.
Google map: