Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 54-25 Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent [9]

  • 54-25 The Setting 54-25 The Setting
  • 54-25 Graveyard 54-25 Graveyard
  • 54-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller 54-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller
  • 54-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller 54-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller
  • 54-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller 54-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller
  • 54-25 Saint John's Church (Jan. 28, 2006) 54-25 Saint John's Church (Jan. 28, 2006)
  • 54-25 Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent 54-25 Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent
  • 54-25 Church and Graveyard 54-25 Church and Graveyard
  • 54-25 Saint John's Church of Worthington 54-25 Saint John's Church of Worthington
Title, side A
Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent
Title, side B
Church and Graveyard
Text, side A
In October of 1803, members of The Scioto Company, led by James Kilbourne, came from Connecticut and founded Worthington. On February 6, 1804, the Articles of Agreement establishing St. John's Church of Worthington were executed. St. John's, which had been planned in Connecticut prior to the Company's departure, became the first Episcopal church established in the Northwest Territory and served as the founding church for several Episcopal churches in Ohio. James Kilbourne served as the church's first Deacon. Reverend Philander Chase, the first Rector of St. John's, became the first Episcopal Bishop of Ohio and founded Kenyon College. St. John's Church and graveyard are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Text, side B
This Gothic Revival style church was completed in 1831. The first settlers brought an altar, which is still in use. A bell brought with the settlers served the early school and church in a log cabin located on the northeast quadrant of the Village Green. Today the bell is in the bell tower of Kilbourne Middle School. The present church bell was purchased in Pittsburgh and first tolled here in 1833. The church graveyard was established with the burial of Captain Abner Pinney on November 23, 1804, and served as the community burial ground in the early nineteenth century. James Kilbourne is buried in the graveyard. There are 317 documented burials including five Revolutionary War and seven War of 1812 veterans.
Address
700 High Street
Worthington, OH 43085
Location
700 High Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.088723, Longitude: -83.017478.
Google map: