Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 [6]

  • 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 angle 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 angle
  • 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 back 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 back
  • 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 inside 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 inside
  • 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 L 96-25 #96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 L
  • 96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22
  • 96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 96-25 Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22
Title, side A
Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22
Text, side A
The Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22, constructed from 1830-1831, is the only canal lock in Groveport. Constructed by W.H. Richardson as part of his $2,937 bid to build section 52 of the canal, the sandstone lock is 117 feet long and ten feet deep and has a sixteen foot wide channel. Its purpose was to raise and lower canal boats to meet the changing terrain. The canal's presence helped fuel commercial and population growth in Groveport in the 19th century by providing a fast and reliable form of transportation to move people, goods, and services to and from the Ohio frontier. It was also a source of recreation as residents used its waters for fishing, row boating, and ice skating. The canal basin at the western end of Lock 22 was a favorite spot for ice skating parties.
Address
7330 Groveport Rd
Groveport, OH 43125
Location
1/4 mile NW behind the Groveport Aquatic/Recreating Park. Paved path leads to lock and marker
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.854578, Longitude: -82.872616.
Google map: