Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 97-25 Columbus Main Library [8]

  • 97-25 Marker Unveiling 97-25 Marker Unveiling
  • 97-25 Andrew Carnegie and the Marker 97-25 Andrew Carnegie and the Marker
  • 97-25 The Marker 97-25 The Marker
  • 97-25 Columbus Main Library side A 97-25 Columbus Main Library side A
  • 97-25 Judge Noah Swayne Home side B 97-25 Judge Noah Swayne Home side B
  • 97-25 Columbus Main Library Front 97-25 Columbus Main Library Front
  • 97-25 Columbus Main Library 9/7/13 97-25 Columbus Main Library 9/7/13
  • 97-25 Columbus Main Library 9/7/13 97-25 Columbus Main Library 9/7/13
Title, side A
Columbus Main Library
Title, side B
Judge Noah Swayne Home
Text, side A
The first tax supported free public library in Columbus was formed in 1873 and housed in City Hall. In 1901, City Librarian John Pugh petitioned Andrew Carnegie for funding and was granted $200,000. In 1903, the Swayne home was razed and construction began. The library opened to the public on April 4, 1907. The library's purpose is inscribed on the front of the building - Bibliotheca Fons Eruditionis: The library is a fountain of learning; Our Treasures Are Within; and Open To All.
Text, side B
The home of Judge Noah Swayne was located on this site from 1848 to 1903. Between the 1860s and 1880s, the home served as the Governor's Mansion. Noah Swayne served as a State Representative in 1829 and 1836, U.S. Attorney General for the Ohio district beginning in 1830 and on the first Columbus City Council in 1834. President Abraham Lincoln appointed him as Supreme Court Justice in 1862. In 1902 the house was sold to the City of Columbus for the new library.
Address
96 South Grant Avenue
Columbus, OH 43215
Location
Columbus Metropolitan Library Main Library
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.961606, Longitude: -82.989993.
Google map: