Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 99-25 St. Clair Hospital [5]

  • 99-25 99_25marker2 99-25 99_25marker2
  • 99-25 St_Clair2 99-25 St_Clair2
  • 99-25 The St. Clair Hospital on St. Clair Ave. near Grove St. 99-25 The St. Clair Hospital on St. Clair Ave. near Grove St.
  • 99-25 St Clair Hospital 9/7/13 99-25 St Clair Hospital 9/7/13
  • 99-25 St Clair Hospital 9/7/13 99-25 St Clair Hospital 9/7/13
Title, side A
St. Clair Hospital
Text, side A
In 1911 local doctors founded the St. Clair Hospital. The home adjacent to the hospital served as a residence home and training school for nurses. In 1940, the hospital was converted into a convalescent home. In 1948, Mr. and Mrs. William J. Garrett, an African-American couple, transformed the facility into a hotel. The Hotel St. Clair, which closed in 1976, accommodated African Americans who were not permitted to stay in white hotels. It also served as a social gathering place for members of Columbus' black community.
Address
346 St. Clair Avenue
Columbus, OH 43203
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.971743, Longitude: -82.980716.
Google map: