Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hancock County / 15-32 Riverside Park [4]

  • 15-32 Riverside Park-Findlay 15-32 Riverside Park-Findlay
  • 15-32 Riverside Park-Waterfalls 15-32 Riverside Park-Waterfalls
  • 15-32 Riverside Park 15-32 Riverside Park
  • 15-32 Riverside Park 15-32 Riverside Park
Title, side A
Riverside Park
Title, side B
Old Mill Stream
Text, side A
One of the earliest and largest amusement parks in Northwest Ohio dedicated in 1906 on site of old waterworks. Trains brought visitors from as far away as Cleveland. 1907: Dance Pavilion and 2,000 seat auditorium built. 1908: Bathing beach made in old reservoir. 1925: Green Mill Dance Hall built on side near dam. Big name bands highlight entertainment. 1936: Shelters, band shell, and pool bath house made from bricks of old waterworks. 1978: Renovation of waterfront begins new era.
Text, side B
Blanchard River Valley was home for Findlay native Tell Taylor who wrote ballad "Down by the Old Mill Stream" in 1908. Settlers established many saw and grist mills. 1881: Findlay Ice Company cuts 3,000 tons of river ice which is stored in two ice houses. 1888: Construction begins on Riverside dam, reservoir, and waterworks east of Findlay. 1905: Seven foot dam built near (Liberty Street) to elevate water level for boating. 1907: Seventy foot, 250-passenger steamer makes first trip from Main Street to Riverside Park. 1980: Old Mill Stream Parkway dedicated.
Location
Osborn Street and Park entrance south of pool
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.025540, Longitude: -83.379150.
Google map: