Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hardin County / 7-33 Scioto Marsh [1]

  • 7-33 Marker 7-33 Marker
Title, side A
Scioto Marsh
Text, side A
The Scioto Marsh, the largest of three extensive marsh areas in western Hardin County, was formed in the low basins left by the last retreating glacier 10,000 years ago. It covered more than 16,000 acres and was thought to be a source of malaria by the early settlers. A drainage project was begun in 1859, and the remaining peat-ladened soil helped make this rich agricultural area.
Address
Intersection of Ohio Route 195 and County Route 110
McGuffey, OH 45859
Location
SR 195
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.674017, Longitude: -83.785633.
Google map: