Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Highland County / 6-36 The Lincoln School [7]

  • 6-36 Marker - Courtsey of Laura Herron 6-36 Marker - Courtsey of Laura Herron
  • 6-36 Marker - Courtsey of Laura Herron 6-36 Marker - Courtsey of Laura Herron
  • 6-36 36-6A The Lincoln School (Front) 08-01-14 6-36 36-6A The Lincoln School (Front) 08-01-14
  • 6-36 36-6B The Lincoln School (Back) 08-01-14 6-36 36-6B The Lincoln School (Back) 08-01-14
  • 6-36 36-6C The Lincoln School (Image) 08-01-14 6-36 36-6C The Lincoln School (Image) 08-01-14
  • 6-36 Lincoln School Marker 6-36 Lincoln School Marker
  • 6-36 Lincoln School Marker 6-36 Lincoln School Marker
Title, side A
The Lincoln School
Text, side A
The Lincoln School, which stood on this site from 1869 to 1956, was a segregated elementary school intended for the city's African American students, grades one through eight. Hillsboro was the site of the first Northern desegregation suit following the May 1954 U.S. Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, a decision that abolished the nation's long standing "separate but equal" doctrine. Following a two-year legal struggle, led by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and a group of parents, and assisted by Thurgood Marshall, who would later become the first black Supreme Court Justice, the Hillsboro school system was desegregated in 1956. The lawsuit hastened integration in other parts of Ohio and the north due to the national media coverage.
Address
537 N. East St.
Hillsboro, OH 45133
Location
SW Corncer of Collins Ave and North East St
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.207341, Longitude: -83.607667.
Google map: