Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Jefferson County / 3-41 Fort Steuben [6]

  • 3-41 Fort Steuben Marker 3-41 Fort Steuben Marker
  • 3-41 Fort Steuben 3-41 Fort Steuben
  • 3-41 Fort Steuben 3-41 Fort Steuben
  • 3-41 Fort Steuben 3-41 Fort Steuben
  • 3-41 Fort Steuben Bridge 3-41 Fort Steuben Bridge
  • 3-41 Monument for Ft. Steuben 3-41 Monument for Ft. Steuben
Title, side A
Fort Steuben
Text, side A
In 1787, the construction of Fort Steuben was completed by Captain John Francis Hamtramck and soldiers of the 1st American Regiment, who were sent to the frontier by the United States government to remove illegal squatters and protect government surveyors from American Indian raids. The surveyors were platting the First Seven Ranges of the Northwest Territory. The surveyed land was sold for settlement or offered to soldiers as payment for military service during the Revolutionary War. Consequently, the states of Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin were formed from the settlement of the Northwest Territory. Fort Steuben was named after Baron Frederich Wilhelm Augustus Steuben, who had served in the Revolutionary War and from which the town derived its name. Captain Hamtramck abandoned the fort in 1787 by order of Colonel Josiah Harmar, and by 1790 the remains of the fort had disappeared. Fort Steuben has been reconstructed on its original location.
Address
120 S 3rd St
Steubenville, OH 43952
Location
In front of Steubenville Vistor Center
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.359133, Longitude: -80.613804.
Google map: