Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Belmont County / 4-7 Historic Bridgeport [5]

  • 4-7 Phantom Beemer and the Marker 4-7 Phantom Beemer and the Marker
  • 4-7 The Marker 4-7 The Marker
  • 4-7 The Setting 4-7 The Setting
  • 4-7 Statue at marker setting 4-7 Statue at marker setting
  • 4-7 Construction on the National Road 4-7 Construction on the National Road
Title, side A
Historic Bridgeport
Text, side A
Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The arrival of the National Road in 1818 made the growing town a major portal into the state of Ohio for westbound emigrants, adding to its importance as a port for Ohio River traffic. With the advent of railroads and, later, transcontinental highways, Bridgeport continues to serve as Ohio's "Gateway to the West."
Address
301 Main Street
Bridgeport, OH 43912
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.072388, Longitude: -80.740982.
Google map: