Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lawrence County / 6-44 City of Ironton - Founded 1849 [6]

  • 6-44 Ironton 6-44 Ironton
  • 6-44 Marker Along Wall 6-44 Marker Along Wall
  • 6-44 More Ironton Wall 6-44 More Ironton Wall
  • 6-44 More Ironton Wall 6-44 More Ironton Wall
  • 6-44 Marker and River 6-44 Marker and River
  • 6-44 Lawrence County Courthouse 6-44 Lawrence County Courthouse
Title, side A
City of Ironton - Founded 1849
Text, side A
In 1849, the city of Ironton was founded by local ironmasters, railroaders, and financiers associated with the Ohio Iron and Coal Company. They saw the city as a manufacturing and shipping point for their products. As a young industrial city, Ironton prospered when river transportation facilitated the development and export of Lawrence County's natural resources and manufactured items. The Iron Railroad Company was also established to transport pig iron and manufactured goods from nearby towns to Ironton, to awaiting steamboats on the Ohio River. Steamboats, in the form of towboats, packet boats, and showboats, traveled the river providing the city with goods, services, and entertainment. The Ironton wharf and boat landing once served the community as a gathering place to greet incoming passengers, receive mail, and hear the latest news.
Address
Junction of Center Street & Ohio Riverbank
Ironton, OH 45633
Coordinates
Latitude: 38.535840, Longitude: -82.688100.
Google map: