Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Licking County / 20-45 Conine Homestead [4]

  • 20-45 Marker Dedication 20-45 Marker Dedication
  • 20-45 Conine Homestead 20-45 Conine Homestead
  • 20-45 Conine Homestead 20-45 Conine Homestead
  • 20-45 Conine Homestead 20-45 Conine Homestead
Title, side A
Conine Homestead
Text, side A
Born in New Jersey, Richard and Sarah Conine, the founders of the village of Pataskala, moved to Lima Township and lived on this site as early as 1821 when Richard established a grist mill nearby. Their homestead also served as a stagecoach stop on the mud pike between Columbus and Newark prior to the coming of the railroad. Richard platted "Conine Town" south and west of here in 1851, and the town was renamed Pataskala soon after. The public-spirited Conines contributed to the building of several area schools and churches and donated land for the Pataskala Cemetery. After their deaths, Sarah's nephew Jacob Van Dorn inherited the property. John Hawley purchased the home in 1887 and for many years it was known as "The Hawley House." It was demolished in 1964 to make way for commercial development.
Address
66 E. Broad Street
Pataskala, OH 43062
Location
In front of Faslube
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.003373, Longitude: -82.673151.
Google map: