Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Licking County / 26-45 Elias Gilman House [2]

  • 26-45 Laurie Connor 26-45 Laurie Connor
  • 26-45 Marker Side A 26-45 Marker Side A
Title, side A
Elias Gilman House
Title, side B
The Wee White House
Text, side A
The original structure, the central portion of the current house, is the oldest frame building in the village. It was built in 1808 by Elias Gilman, a prominent figure from Granville Massachusetts, who led the first family party to Ohio to establish a new settlement . In the home's early years, it served as a post office, library, retail store, and select school. The initial meeting of the Freemasons of Granville was held in the home in 1811 and the local Women's Christian Temperance Union organized here in the 1880s . A large spring to the west of the house supplied the village with water throughout the 19th century . The house has been an integral part of community life for over 200 years.
Text, side B
Chi Psi Delta, a local sorority, purchased the house in 1904, making the first sorority house at Denison University . The group would eventually become part of the national Greek organization Kappa Alpha Theta . The "Wee White House," as it became known, has been home to the Beta Tau Chapter of ??? since 1929 . The house underwent several changes throughout the years, including the 1830s addition of the Classical Revival style porch, with its Doric columns of solid walnut , and the construction of the north living room in 1863 . The west wing was added in 1958 . In spite of numerous alterations, this beloved home, now owned by Denison University, retains its historic charm.
Address
200 N. Mulberry St
Granville, OH 43023
Location
Kappa Alpha Theta Chapter Home
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.069410, Longitude: -82.521880.
Google map: