Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lorain County / 13-47 Oberlin College and Community-Founded in 1833 [15]

  • 13-47 Oberlin College 13-47 Oberlin College
  • 13-47 Oberlin Heritage Center 13-47 Oberlin Heritage Center
  • 13-47 Jewett House 13-47 Jewett House
  • 13-47 Side B 13-47 Side B
  • 13-47 Giles Shurtleff's House 13-47 Giles Shurtleff's House
  • 13-47 The Schoolhouse 13-47 The Schoolhouse
  • 13-47 Oberlin College 13-47 Oberlin College
  • 13-47 Finney Chapel 13-47 Finney Chapel
  • 13-47 At a Distance 13-47 At a Distance
  • 13-47 Abolitionism in Oberlin 13-47 Abolitionism in Oberlin
  • 13-47 Marker 13-47 Marker
  • 13-47 Oberlin College 13-47 Oberlin College
  • 13-47 Oberlin College 13-47 Oberlin College
  • 13-47 Marker photo South side 13-47 Marker photo South side
  • 13-47 Marker photo 13-47 Marker photo
Title, side A
Oberlin College and Community-Founded in 1833
Title, side B
Abolitionism in Oberlin
Text, side A
Reverend John Jay Shipherd and Philo Penfield Stewart envisioned an educational institution and colony dedicated to the glory of God and named in honor of John Frederick Oberlin, a pastor in the Alsace-Lorraine region of France. Early colonists signed a covenant pledging themselves to the plainest living and highest thinking. Oberlin (known as the Oberlin Collegiate Institute until 1850 when it was renamed Oberlin College) was the first coeducational institution to grant bachelor's degrees to women and historically has been a leader in the education of African Americans. In fact, African American and white children studied together in the town's one-room schoolhouse, in defiance of Ohio's "Black laws" forbidding this practice. The schoolhouse, built 1836-1837, is part of the Oberlin Heritage Center.
Text, side B
Oberlin became an abolitionist hotbed and a major stopover on the Underground Railroad before the Civil War. Abolitionists here held a range of opinions; some believed prayer could end slavery; others pursued political measures; and a few embraced violence. Oberlin also was active in reform movements, including women's rights, suffrage, temperance, and village improvement. Behind this marker is the home of Giles Shurtleff, an abolitionist, professor, and army general who led the first African American regiment from Ohio to serve in the Civil War. The home's second owner was James Monroe, Oberlin's best-known political abolitionist. Monroe was a professor, a U.S. Congressman, and the U.S. consul in Brazil during the Civil War. He lived here with his wife, Julia, a daughter of Oberlin's great religious leader, Charles Grandison Finney.
Address
73 1/2 S. Professor Street
Oberlin, OH 44074
Location
73 1/2 S. Professor Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.290223, Longitude: -82.220470.
Google map: