Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 2-48 House of Four Pillars [4]

  • 2-48 The Marker in the side yard 2-48 The Marker in the side yard
  • 2-48 House of Four Pillars 2-48 House of Four Pillars
  • 2-48 Marker 7-7-13 2-48 Marker 7-7-13
  • 2-48 House of Four Pillars 2-48 House of Four Pillars
Title, side A
House of Four Pillars
Text, side A
Theodore Dreiser wrote in 1900 his famous novel, Sister Carrie, in this house. It was built in 1835 and altered to Greek Revival Style in 1844. Dreiser acquired it in 1899. The house possesses most of the features typical of the American "classic temple" including four Doric columns rising the full length of the structure. In 1967 the house is owned by the William M. Hankins family.
Address
322 E. Broadway St.
Maumee, OH 43537
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.562571, Longitude: -83.647270.
Google map: