Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 32-48 Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad [4]

  • 376 9984 376 9984
  • 32-48 The Marker on the north side of Monore Street in Sylvania. 32-48 The Marker on the north side of Monore Street in Sylvania.
  • 32-48 Marker 5-21-09 32-48 Marker 5-21-09
  • 32-48 The Marker 32-48 The Marker
Title, side A
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad
Text, side A
This rail line was the original route of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad, the first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains. The train made its initial run on October 3, 1836 from Toledo to Adrian, a total of approximately thirty miles. In 1837, a steam locomotive replaced horses as the train's engine. The E. & K. R.R. opened markets from Lake Erie to the Michigan Territory.
Address
Just E of 6700 Monroe Street
Sylvania, OH 43560
Location
NW corner of Monroe Street and railroad tracks
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.715602, Longitude: -83.704905.
Google map: