Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 33-48 The Old Territorial Road [5]

  • 467 131633 467 131633
  • 33-48 Marker in in front on the Post Office 33-48 Marker in in front on the Post Office
  • 33-48 The Marker 33-48 The Marker
  • 33-48 Marker 33-48 Marker
  • 33-48 The Old Territorial Road 33-48 The Old Territorial Road
Title, side A
The Old Territorial Road
Text, side A
The earliest improved public road west from Lake Erie to the Indiana border, the Territorial-Indiana Road was built by the U.S. Government in 1834-1835 through the Cottonwood Swamp, then a major obstacle to travel. It ran parallel to the Harris Line, the northern boundary of a narrow strip of land contested by Ohio and Michigan from 1803 until 1836, when Ohio annexed it following the "Toledo War." Completion of the 110-mile road gave farmers and settlers much improved access to markets and new western lands. It became the Indiana Plank Road in 1848 and later Sylvania-Metamora Road. The Toledo and Western Electric Railway's parallel right-of-way was completed in 1902.
Address
Near 12353 Sylvania-Metamora Road
Berkey, OH 43504
Location
SW corner of OH 295 & Sylvania-Metamora Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.715378, Longitude: -83.839904.
Google map: