Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 48-48 St. Anthony Church [8]

  • 48-48 The Marker to the left of the front door. The parish school is to the right. 48-48 The Marker to the left of the front door. The parish school is to the right.
  • 48-48 The Marker 48-48 The Marker
  • 48-48 A young lady visiting the Marker in the old Polish neighborhood. 48-48 A young lady visiting the Marker in the old Polish neighborhood.
  • 48-48 The Church 48-48 The Church
  • 48-48 Back of Marker 48-48 Back of Marker
  • 48-48 Front of Marker 48-48 Front of Marker
  • 48-48 St. Anthony Church 48-48 St. Anthony Church
  • 48-48 St. Anthony Church 48-48 St. Anthony Church
Title, side A
St. Anthony Church
Text, side A
Construction for the current St. Anthony Church began in 1890 after the original wood-frame church became too small to serve the steadily growing congregation of Polish immigrants coming into the Toledo area. Completed in 1894, St. Anthony was the second Polish church built in Toledo and became known as the "mother" church for the local Polish community serving as many as 8,000 parishioners piror to the 1970s. The first Mass was celebrated on March 4, 1894. (continued on other side)
Text, side B
(continued from other side) St. Anthony Church served an area known as "Kuschwantz" or cow's tail, possibly referring to the rural nature of the area. This area became the initial settlement for a large number of Polish immigrants from the Poznan area of Poland during the late 1800s. St. Anthony played an integral part in the lives of these oppressed immigrants and was a focal point for those who came to build a new life of freedom for themselves in the United States.
Address
1416 Nebraska Avenue
Toledo, OH 43560
Location
1416 Nebraska Avenue
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.387370, Longitude: -83.346400.
Google map: