Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 55-48 The Harroun Family Barn [5]

  • 55-48 Marker text 55-48 Marker text
  • 55-48 Unveiling the Marker 55-48 Unveiling the Marker
  • 55-48 Marker and Barn 55-48 Marker and Barn
  • 55-48 Harroun Family Barn 55-48 Harroun Family Barn
  • 55-48 Marker 6-9-13 55-48 Marker 6-9-13
Title, side A
The Harroun Family Barn
Text, side A
The David and Clarissa Harroun family migrated to Sylvania in 1835 and built their home, and in 1858 the barn, on this site. Four generations of this Harroun family called this property home, from 1835-1938. While here, David, Clarissa, and their son Edwin became involved in aiding fugitive slaves across the Underground Railroad to freedom in Canada. David secretly transported the runaways from Maumee to Sylvania in his lumber wagons. The fugitives were covered in hay, and the wagons were driven at night to avoid detection. Once on Harroun's property, they were hidden in the attic of the home or the hayloft of the barn. The Lathrop family, who lived on a farm to the west, helped the Harrouns by hiding fugitives in the basement of their home. From Sylvania, the runaways were taken to Bedford, Petersburg, or Monroe in Michigan where they were then transported toward Detroit for their crossing into Canada.
Address
5200 Harroun Rd
Sylvania, OH 43560
Location
Flower Hospital
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.711057, Longitude: -83.694439.
Google map: