Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 7-48 Toledo [8]

  • 7-48 The Marker infront of the Government Center in downtown Toledo 7-48 The Marker infront of the Government Center in downtown Toledo
  • 7-48 The Marker 7-48 The Marker
  • 7-48 Back of Marer 7-48 Back of Marer
  • 7-48 Front of Marker 7-48 Front of Marker
  • 7-48 Aerial view of downtown Toledo 7-48 Aerial view of downtown Toledo
  • 7-48 Manufacturing District in Toledo 7-48 Manufacturing District in Toledo
  • 7-48 Freighters Docked on the Maumee River 7-48 Freighters Docked on the Maumee River
  • 7-48 Parade in Toledo, Ohio 7-48 Parade in Toledo, Ohio
Title, side A
Toledo
Text, side A
After consolidation of the villages of Fort Lawrence and Vistula, the City of Toledo was incorporated in 1837. Originally named "Toledo" in 1833, the site became part of Ohio when the "Toledo War," a bloodless boundary conflict with Michigan, was resolved by Congress in 1836. Settlers were attracted by the commercial potential of the Maumee River, called "Miami of the Lake," and later the Miami-Erie Canal.
Text, side B
With water and rail transportation, Toledo developed into a major trade center and world port. Before 1900, Toledo manufactured large numbers of bicycles and wagons. In this century, Toledo has become a major automotive manufacturing center. The glass industry was attracted to Toledo in 1888 by the discovery of natural gas south of the city. Since then, Toledo has been widely known as "Glass Capital of the World."
Location
In front of Government Center, Jackson Blvd. And Erie
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.392890, Longitude: -83.320970.
Google map: