Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 9-48 Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad [5]

  • 9-48 Toledo as a Rail Center 9-48 Toledo as a Rail Center
  • 9-48 Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad 9-48 Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad
  • 9-48 The Marker infront of the Toledo Amtrak Station 9-48 The Marker infront of the Toledo Amtrak Station
  • 9-48 The covered walkway goes from the parking area to the Station 9-48 The covered walkway goes from the parking area to the Station
  • 9-48 The Station, the walkway, and the Marker proudly displayed near the front door drop-off area 9-48 The Station, the walkway, and the Marker proudly displayed near the front door drop-off area
Title, side A
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad
Title, side B
Toledo as a Rail Center
Text, side A
The first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains was Toledo's colorful "Erie and Kalamazoo." Begun in 1832, the line was completed by 1836. Its rails were made of oak topped with thin iron strips. Horses pulled small railcars the 30 miles between Toledo and Adrian, Michigan. In July, 1837, a steam locomotive replaced the horses.
Text, side B
From the Erie and Kalamazoo's simple beginning, Toledo's great rail system developed. By 1900 thirteen railroad companies operated from Toledo's terminal and port facilities, making it the third largest rail center in the United States. Numerous passenger trains, and thousands of railcars carrying agricultural products, raw materials, and manufactured goods from all over the country, arrived and departed daily.
Address
Emerald St.
Toledo, OH 43602
Location
Across from the entrance of the Central-Union Plaza on Emerald, Sylvania
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.638300, Longitude: -83.541500.
Google map: