Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Madison County / 2-49 New Hampton and Ludlow's Road [4]

  • 2-49 Setting 2-49 Setting
  • 2-49 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller 2-49 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller
  • 2-49 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller 2-49 Cheryl & Ernie Tuller
  • 2-49 New Hampton and Ludlow's Road 2-49 New Hampton and Ludlow's Road
Title, side A
New Hampton and Ludlow's Road
Text, side A
On September 8, 1803, the year that Ohio became a state, the Associate Judges of Franklin County ordered that a road be constructed "leading from the Public Square in Franklinton to Springfield, Greene County." This road came to be known as The Old State Road or Ludlow's Road. On this spot in the summer of 1822, the Village of New Hampton was laid out, the road being Main Street of the village. New Hampton was the forerunner of West Jefferson. It fell into oblivion eight to nine years later when West Jefferson was developed along the National Road. All that remains of New Hampton is the cemetery and this part of the road.
Address
Cemetery Road
West Jefferson, OH 43162
Location
Hampton Cemetery
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.940328, Longitude: -83.269234.
Google map: