Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Mahoning County / 14-50 Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard [4]

  • 14-50 The Setting 14-50 The Setting
  • 14-50 Another View 14-50 Another View
  • 14-50 Marker 14-50 Marker
  • 14-50 Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard 14-50 Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard
Title, side A
Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Settlers from Connecticut were the first to come to Canfield Township in the late 1700s, and they were followed by a second wave of immigrants, Swiss-German pioneers who began arriving from Berks and Leigh counties in Pennsylvania in 1804. In 1810, these "Pennsylvania Dutch" established The Zion Lutheran and Reformed Church and built a log church and cemetery on this site. The church was destroyed by fire in 1845 and a new church served the congregation well until it too was destroyed by fire in 1894. The cemetery, known as The Old Dutch and German Burying Ground, German Cemetery, and Lynn Cemetery and now Old North Cemetery, is all that remains. Among the dozens of old stone markers, some in German, are markers for veterans of the American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, and other wars.
Location
Old North Cemetery, North Broad Street