Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

1-45 Hebron

2_5526.jpg Thumbnails1-45 MarkerThumbnails1-45 MarkerThumbnails1-45 MarkerThumbnails1-45 Marker

Side A: Hebron. Located at the crossing of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the National Road, Hebron was a favored commercial and agricultural center for Licking County in the nineteenth century. Only four miles north of the city Governor DeWitt Clinton of New York turned the first spadeful of dirt for the Ohio and Erie canal on July 4, 1825. The canal was completed through Hebron in 1828. Nearby Buckeye Lake served as a reservoir and feeder for the canal until 1894 when it was set aside for park purposes. The National Road was completed through Hebron in 1834. Side B: Same. Same