Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

30-55 Marker

106094_120509.jpg Thumbnails30-55 Marker along S.R. 40Thumbnails30-55 Marker along S.R. 40Thumbnails30-55 Marker along S.R. 40Thumbnails30-55 Marker along S.R. 40Thumbnails30-55 Marker along S.R. 40Thumbnails30-55 Marker along S.R. 40

Front Text: Once the center of telephone communications in America, Phoneton, originally platted as Phonetown, was established in 1893 by the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) as the place to service and operate three major telephone and telegraph lines that intersected here on the National Road. AT&T built a repeater station to service the lines and employed as many as forty switchboard operators who lived in a hotel and boarding house constructed by the company. Other employees were bused in from neighboring towns. All operations were moved to Dayton in 1936. Back Text: Same